Baby Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gastroenteritis? High persistent fever

3 posters

Go down

Gastroenteritis?  High persistent fever Empty Gastroenteritis? High persistent fever

Post by Comment Queen Tue 29 Nov - 13:42

OK.. so I know fevers serve a useful purpose and I do tend to let them run their course most often without the aid of even paracetemol.
However I just wanted to run this by you guys as it is 2330, I haven't slept in days, and I am nervous about going to sleep.

Small is fine now, but Smaller now has this nasty virus. It does seem to be gastroenteritis. He was fine one minute, and then within 15 minutes his temp was soaring towards 40. And there it stays. With serious effort I can keep it in the mid 38s. Its been 2 days now, and it lasted 4 with Small. Smaller tends to react more to temperatures, but Small did end up with mild convulsions. Both have been coherent throughout, although Small was distressed and confused during the convulsions. Smaller has remained totally coherent. Small vomited copiously, just the once, and drank and ate readily. Smaller vomited the entire last night, but not since this morning. he ate well this afternoon (1 bun) but thats basically it. He drinks, but sips only. He is not dehydrated but obviously he needs to be better hydrated than normal with a temp of 40.1
I am giving him paracetemol every 4 hours during the night, but it is only reducing it by about half a degree. He just has a nappy, and i have covered him with a damp teatowel that I replace every so often. The room is aired. I am battling to get rehydrate into him, but I am waking him for sips of water every hour. He agrees he is hot but thatis the only thing bothering him he says, but is sensitive to touch and temperature, and is shaking a bit. His poos are a bright/dark green and hard... so I'd say a result of viral gastro together with mild dehydration/fever. He is not weeing enough, but the nappies are not dark.

The problem is, I already did 4 nights with Small. I am sleeping like the dead. I managed to wake every (numerous) time he puked last night, but i am groggy to say the least. I am concerned as the meds are not keeping the temp low enough by themselves, and the wet cloth is dry by an hour or so. I can set an alarm to ensure I monitor him regularly, but what do you think? I know there is not much I can do but monitor him, keep him hydrated and comfortable. i know that even if he convulses, it is more concerning if he is lethagic and out of it, which he is not. But he is fine one minute on 38.4, then it shoots to 40.1 even with meds.

Any advice welcomed!
Comment Queen
Comment Queen

Number of posts : 42
Birthday : 11 March 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Gastroenteritis?  High persistent fever Empty Re: Gastroenteritis? High persistent fever

Post by Venus Tue 29 Nov - 14:05

I feel so sorry for you. You sound exhausted.

Did you know that you can give Paracetemol AND Nurofen at the same time? I'm usually also one to let fevers go for a while, because as you said it helps the body to heal itself. But will of course give it when the child is in pain or really uncomfortable from the fever, or if they're at risk of febrile convulsions.

Anyway, about the Paracetemol / Ibuprofen: I usually alternate ... so I'll give Paracetemol, then Ibuprofen 2 hours late, then again Paracetemol.

By the way, did you see the article in the news a week or two ago, about the Paracetemol dosages that have now been revised?
Venus
Venus
Admin

Number of posts : 12405
Birthday : Cape Town
Favourite Quote : Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming, "WOO HOOOO! What a ride!"
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://www.bridal-lane.com

Back to top Go down

Gastroenteritis?  High persistent fever Empty Re: Gastroenteritis? High persistent fever

Post by Comment Queen Tue 29 Nov - 14:47

No I didn't... revised to what? Let me google. It says 4 hourly, not more than 4 times in 24 or for more than 3 days. Thats too infrequent to keep this one at bay, so i need something else. See now this is wher I come unstuck as well... I am so familiar with all the RSA meds, I go in to the chemist here and things are different and they have no idea half the time :) Certainly I am sure I dont have anything else. I must have some suppositories somewhere.. but I'll use that if he starts convulsing... its just one of those bugs where the temp seems to go up VERY quick, hence the fits sad If he is still like this tomorrow I will def get something else as well
Comment Queen
Comment Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs Tue 29 Nov - 14:58

Like V, I would recommend you alternate between Calpol and Nurofen/Ibuprofen. The new revised dosage for Calpol is instead of 10ml for a child 2-4 years now 7.5ml (that is where my LO falls). Here are the others in case you didnt find it:

3 months to 6 months: 2.5ml of infant paracetamol suspension, given up to four times per day

6 months to 24 months: 5ml of infant paracetamol suspension, given up to four times a day

2 years to 4 years: 7.5ml of infant paracetamol suspension, given up to four times a day

4 years to 6 years: 10ml of infant paracetamol suspension, given up to four times a day

6 years to 8 years: 5ml of paracetamol six-plus suspension, given up to four times a day

8 years to 10 years: 7.5ml of paracetamol six-plus suspension, given up to four times a day

10 years to 12 years: 10ml of paracetamol six-plus suspension, given up to four times a day

Good luck, hope your little one is soon.
Debs
Debs
Valued Member

Number of posts : 2736
Birthday : 25 July
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Comment Queen Wed 30 Nov - 10:40

Thanks Mila.
Well he was quite perky today.. but then it shoots up again!
Poos normal, no vomiting, nose streaming, lots of sneezing and coughing. Temp at 38.3 which is MUCH better!
Both of them are cranky as all Hell, and I am not much better :)
And now I have a headache and a nasty sore throat.... ugh. Guess who must have it now sad
Comment Queen
Comment Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down