Baby Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy

5 posters

Go down

Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy Empty Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy

Post by Venus Wed 22 Oct - 13:56

Anyone have a nice recipe?

Last edited by Venus on Mon 27 Oct - 16:22; edited 1 time in total
Venus
Venus
Admin

Number of posts : 12405
Birthday : Cape Town
Favourite Quote : Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming, "WOO HOOOO! What a ride!"
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://www.bridal-lane.com

Back to top Go down

Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy Empty Re: Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy

Post by Anicha Wed 22 Oct - 14:14

Vegetable Potato Bean Soup
Serves 10
1 lb. dried black beans (or any beans you prefer)Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy 166
8 cups water
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cups red potatoes, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup carrot, sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 12 oz can stewed tomatoes

Sort and wash beans. Place beans into a bowl and cover with water about 2 inches above beans and leave overnight.

Place beans without the water into a crock pot dish. Now add 8 cups water and all the other ingredients. Cover and place on low temperature. Simmer 2 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Place soup into bowls and serve.
Anicha
Anicha
Valued Member

Number of posts : 2144
Birthday : 1 SEPTEMBER 1986
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy Empty Re: Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy

Post by Anicha Wed 22 Oct - 14:14

Chunky Vegetable-Bean Soup
Make 8 servings
This recipe was submitted from Tana, a daily recipe subscriber.

1 Large onion
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
4 cups chicken stock
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 lb green beans cut into small pieces
1/4 small cabbage or 1/2 pkg. spinach coarsely
1 carrot chopped
1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
Tbs. dill
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans drained
Salt, cayenne and pepper
1 cup parmesan cheese

In a soup pot mix onion, potato and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add celery, green beans, cabbage or spinach, carrot, sweet pepper, dill and beans. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Season to taste. Sprinkle serving with Parmesan.

ONLY 2g OF FAT IN ONE SERVING!
Anicha
Anicha
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Anicha Wed 22 Oct - 14:15

Black Bean & Smoked Chicken Soup

Yield: 4 Servings

1/2 c Dried black beans
2 c Water
1 Bay leaf
Light vegetable oil cooking spray
1/2 c Peeled and chopped broccoli stems
1/2 c Scraped & cubed carrot (1 medium carrot)
1 c Scraped & cubed celery (2 med. stalks)
1 c Chopped onion (1 medium)
1 tb Dried thyme
1 tb Dried basil
1/2 c Dry white wine
8 oz Boneless skinless chicken breast
4 tb Barbecue sauce (no oil type)
1 c Chicken stock, fat skimmed
12 oz Evaporated skim milk
2 c Broccoli florets
1 tb Cornstarch dissolved in 2 tb cold water
1 tb Liquid smoke
1 tb Worcestershire sauce
1 ts Tabasco sauce
1/4 c Chopped fresh cilantro

Pick over and rinse the beans. Put them into a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Let the beans soak overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
Drain the beans and transfer them to a medium saucepan. Add the 2 cups water and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until the beans are tender. Drain the beans and discard the bay leaf.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place a heavy stockpot over medium heat for about 1 minute, then spray it twice with the vegetable oil. Add the broccoli stems, carrot, celery, and onion. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Stir in the thyme, basil, and wine. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, until the wine has been reduced by half.
In the meantime, coat the chicken thoroughly with the barbecue sauce and bake for 10 minutes on the top shelf of the oven. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool just long enough to handle. Cut the chicken into small cubes.
Add the chicken, chicken stock, and beans to the stockpot. Cook over low heat for about 3 minutes, until thoroughly heated. Stir in the evaporated milk and the broccoli florets. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring if needed to keep the soup from coming to a boil. Add the dissolved cornstarch and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Stir in the liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Source: In The Kitchen with Rosie
Anicha
Anicha
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Anicha Wed 22 Oct - 14:17

Ingredients:

• 1 lb 15 bean soup mix
  • 1 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 large red onion, chopped
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 bunches chopped green onions
  • 1 tsp dried basil or 1 tbs fresh basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbs fresh oregano
  • 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbs fresh thyme
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • zest of 1 lemon or lime
  • 1 tbs rice wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
  • 2 qts vegetable stock or 2 qts water with 2 tbs vegetable stock base

Preparation:

Prepare beans according to package directions by soaking in water overnight or simmering them in water for an hour, draining the water and reserving the beans in a colander. Saute onions in oil for 5 to 8 minutes over medium heat til they are soft. Add minced garlic, scallions and all of the herbs and spices, including the zest, stir and heat through for about 2 minutes. Add vinegar and stir, then add beans, stock or water and base or plain water, cover pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer. Cover pot again and allow to simmer for 11/2 hours. . Check for level of liquid occasionally. Add additional stock or water if soup appears too thick for your taste. Check beans for tenderness. If not soft, cook at simmer for another 1/2 hour.
Anicha
Anicha
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Anicha Wed 22 Oct - 14:18

Basic Ham and Bean Soup

Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy 7755Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy Photo_upload
RECIPE RATING:
Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy 15862

PREP TIME 30 Min
COOK TIME 2 Hrs 30 Min
READY IN 3 Hrs

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

• 1 pound dry great Northern beans
  • 8 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ham hock
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups chopped ham
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Rinse the beans, sorting out any broken or discolored ones. In a large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and the beans and remove from heat. Let beans sit in the hot water for at least 60 minutes.
  2. After the 60 minutes of soaking, return the pot to high heat and place the ham bone, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, mustard and bay leaves in the pot. Stir well, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 60 more minutes.
  3. Remove ham bone and discard. Stir in the chopped ham and simmer for 30 more minutes. Season with ground white pepper to taste.
Anicha
Anicha
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Wed 22 Oct - 14:20

Thanks so much Anicha - they look delicious!!

I guess I should've said that I'm looking for the old traditional "boerekos" recipe, where they cook some mutton with it. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Venus
Venus
Admin

Favourite Quote : Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming, "WOO HOOOO! What a ride!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Anicha Wed 22 Oct - 14:21

Bean Stew / "Boontjiebredie" - by Ethan's Mommy 7755 This is the pic for the ham and bean soup

Also chek out this website http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Basic-Ham-and-Bean-Soup/Photo-Gallery.aspx
Anicha
Anicha
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Anicha Wed 22 Oct - 14:22

i'll pm you
Anicha
Anicha
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Liesl Wed 22 Oct - 19:57

I have the "Groenboontjie Bredie" - like the real afrikaans one!
If u want that one
Liesl
Liesl
Valued Member

Number of posts : 3605
Birthday : Ruimsig
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Wed 22 Oct - 20:07

Yes please, that's actually what I meant! DH has been nagging me for ages now to make it & I'm always finding some sort of excuse, because I didn't want to admit that I actually don't know how to make it.

I do love some of Anicha's recipes though. I think these things will make great food for Reuben, especially as it's cooked quite soft.
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liesl Wed 22 Oct - 20:25

Ok it is real easy, if u have a slow cooker it is even beta!
I use lamb neck as that is the best meat in a bredie, u can also make a tomato bredie, it is very similar.

Ingredients:
Lamb neck ( as many pieces as u want 2 prepare 4 supper, I always do more cause it is very nice the next day. - 4 this recipe I will use 6-8pieces.)
tin of green beans (I take the french cut)
cup of fresh beans
Onion
Clove of garlic
3 Potatoes

Method:
Fry onions and garlic, remove from pan.
Brown meat in pan (don't cook just quickly brown on very high heat)
Add onions & meat to a slow cooker or steam pot, or a nice caserole dish that is oven proof.
Put the potatoes on top of the meat (cut up into pieces)
Put the beans and half of the juice(canned beans) on top of potatoes.
2 cups of water. or till the wayter covers the potatoes halfway, it does not have to be covered completely, just enough to cook in and make a sauce.
Salt & Pepper

Let it cook gently until soft - 30 min before serving take out the meat and most of the potatoes and some of the beans, thicken sauce with a bit of maizena and mash the remaining potatoes and beans with masher, just roughly just to give the sauce a nice texture. Add the meat and the potatoes and beans and simmer 30min. Serve with nice basmati rice.

Slow Coooker - 8 hours
Steam pot - dunno till meat is soft.
caserole pot - 2-3 hours on 150 oven!

I normaly just put everything in slowcooker and dont even bother frying onions and garlic or brown meat.

This is real boere kos!
Liesl
Liesl
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Wed 22 Oct - 21:21

That looks soooooooooo yummy!! Def going to make it tomorrow night & will let you know how it turned out.

Thanks so much.

PS. What's your first name again? Is it Liesl?
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liesl Thu 23 Oct - 14:27

Jip, Liesl - hey u even got the spelling right.

Let me know how it is! Hubby also loves it.
Liesl
Liesl
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil_B Thu 23 Oct - 14:48

I am going to try this as well, looks really good.
Neil_B
Neil_B
Addicted Member

Number of posts : 1618
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Essie Thu 23 Oct - 17:45

Liesl, what's the "french cut" of the tin of green beans? My dh hates "bredies", but I just love them, and my mom used to make the best green bean potjie with lambs neck as well!

Oh, and if you put it in the oven, do you cover it with foil?
Essie
Admin

Number of posts : 19009
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Liesl Thu 23 Oct - 19:23

Es, when u buy the beans in the tins there is differnt cuts, the french just looks nicer, makes no diff.

DH is not keen on bredies, the first time I made it did not thicken sauce, and it was not so nice, so the second time I put some effort in the sauce and Tinus loved it, he requested the dish the other week.
yes u need to cover the dish in the oven, with foil or caserole lid.
Liesl
Liesl
Valued Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Essie Thu 23 Oct - 20:44

OK, thanx. MIL isn't great on "bredies" that's probably why they don't like it as much. My mom used to make lots of stews, so I love all forms of it. W prefers his food "seperate"... :lol1:
Essie
Admin

Number of posts : 19009
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down