Baby Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wasp Sting

Go down

Wasp Sting Empty Wasp Sting

Post by Essie Sat 29 Nov - 16:05

I got the following advise from this website:

http://www.ehow.com/video_3040_treat-wasp-hornet.html

Step1
Remove the stinger. Scrape a dull butter knife against your skin in the opposite direction of the stinger entry. It should pop out. Some sources recommend removing a stinger with tweezers. However, this method can potentially inject more venom into your skin as you attempt to pry and prod out the stinger.
Step2
Reduce pain and swelling with ice. Try to avoid putting ice directly on skin, because it can cause a flesh burn. Instead, use an ice pack or wrap a washcloth around the ice. Remove it after 10 to 15 minutes and dry the site thoroughly.
Step3
Use a topical antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine hydrochloride, available in cream, stick or gel.
Step4
Opt for a topical anesthetic for pain not relieved by antihistamine. Consider topical lidocaine or benzocaine.
Step5
Apply a topical hydrocortisone cream to reduce allergic reaction around site.
Step6
Take an oral analgesic, like ibuprofen, for general pain that may result from venom circulating throughout your bloodstream.
Step7
Consider applying moist baking soda or mud to the sting site. Although there is no scientific evidence that these remedies work, some people find that they provide relief.

Tips & Warnings:

• If you have experienced a severe reaction to any type of sting or bite in the past, you may be allergic to stings and bites. If you are, your doctor will provide you with a hypodermic syringe filled with epinephrine. Carry this syringe with you whenever you go outside.
  • If you notice pus or severe redness/swelling 24 hours after being stung, you may have an infection. See a doctor.
  • Go to the emergency room immediately if you have any signs of severe reaction or anaphylactic shock following any type of sting or bite: confusion; nausea and vomiting; swelling of the lips, tongue, throat, and/or area around the eyes; wheezing; difficulty breathing or talking; or loss of consciousness.
  • If you experience any severe reaction to a sting, or are attacked by a large number of wasps or hornets at once, get medical help immediately.
  • If symptoms persist or if you have specific medical conditions or concerns, we recommend you contact a physician. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.

I did the following when my LG was stung by a wasp (the black and yellow one):
- Applied an aspirin paste : it didn't help
- Applied a paste of baking soda : still didn't help
- Applied Skincalm : this helped!
- Applied wrapped ice - this helped for the swelling
- Gave oral myprodyl for the pain
- Gave Allecet (oral anti-hystamine) : the redness started to dissapear

Some sites suggest you immediately pull out a bee's stinger, even with your nails. My son did this instinctively when he was stung. I believe it helped as quite a bit of the venom was still in the stinger after he removed it, so it wasn't all injected into his hand. I read afterwards that it takes 2 minutes for the venom from the stinger sac to completely empty into your skin, so if a knife isn't close at hand, just remove it as quickly as you can.

Last edited by Essie on Sat 29 Nov - 16:16; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixing bullets)
Essie
Admin

Number of posts : 19009
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum