Baby Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus)

+8
Tammy
Essie
Venus
Honeybunch
Logan's mommy
2TA
Rose-Anne
JEM
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) Empty Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus)

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 6:58

morning gals, Jaden has this seriously strange rash this morning. I noticed it last night when I was taking his clothes off for bath time, they look like big pimples, in his bum area and in his nappy line, I thought maybe it was because he had quite a wet nappy (bad mommy), but this morning, these same wierd pimples are all over the palms of his hands and the soles of his feet!!!!! no where else on his body, he doesn't seem to have a temp, and was very chirpy this morning.. any ideas on what this could be? I thought maybe a heat rash as thats where they tend to sweat is hands and feet, and obviously gets rather moist in the nether regions too.. he also ate tuna for the first time yesterday?? but Sharon said she's pretty sure he had the pimples on his bum before he ate the tuna... do I rush to the doc?
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Number of posts : 8724
Birthday : Cape Town
Favourite Quote : Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) Empty Re: Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus)

Post by Rose-Anne Fri 28 Nov - 7:16

I know a doc once told me if its on the palms of the hands or on the bottom of the feet its not a heat rash but please dont take my word for it. Sure he would have a fever if it was something else, with saying that, Luzaan had German Measles last year December and I just noticed a rash the morning nothing else, no fever or a grumpy child or nothing and I saw it was behind her ears which also indicates something else than a heat rash and took her to the doc for just in case. So maybe if you are feeling uneasy about it, pop by the clinic?
Rose-Anne
Loyal Member

Number of posts : 10150
Birthday : Johannesburg

Back to top Go down

Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) Empty Re: Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus)

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov - 7:26

I heard foot and mouth disease starts with a rash in the groin area and/or the hands and feet.... ?? Really dont know anything more than this and last week I was told it was going around.

edited....
Sorry not last week..... it was when Sebastien wasn't feeling too well about a month ago and the doc mentioned to keep a look out for these rashes.....

Back to top Go down

Post by 2TA Fri 28 Nov - 7:37

My first thought was also foot and mouth disease... google it B, maybe you could get some more information on it as i don't think it's as bad as it sounds... especially if he's not running a temp...
2TA
2TA
Loyal Member

Number of posts : 12822
Favourite Quote : Everything happens for a reason...

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan's mommy Fri 28 Nov - 7:44

I do know that German measles and chickenpox is in the air at the moment...
Logan's mommy
Logan's mommy
Enthusiastic Member

Number of posts : 647
Birthday : 7 May 1982

http://www.yoli.co.za

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 8:15

Charrup thats exactly what I thought this morning, I remember we chatted about it not too long ago - I'm freaking out now. It sounds so gross, I'm going to google it now. sad
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Favourite Quote : Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov - 8:17

It does sound horrible... just the name! But yah, that's as much as I know but maybe you can enlighten us cos I didn't bother checking up on it since no rashes appeared.

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 8:36

I phoned the doctor now, she said it sounds like hand and foot disease, its a viral thing and quite common among babies and infants, moderately contagious and spreads like a flu would. Its nothing really serious, but does need treatment. Typically occurs in playschools in summer, and incubation period is about 3-7 days. He's had none of the symptoms really, although last night he had a bad night and ended up in our bed. So maybe he did have a headache, he whimpered all night next to me. I feel so bad. I think the name more than anything freaks me out! going to the doc at 2:30. sigh.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov - 8:38

Ah shame man!! Argh if they could give it a better name!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Honeybunch Fri 28 Nov - 8:54

It doesn't sound like HFM disease to me. Usually children with it have very high fevers. And are "pap" and really sick...almost flulike symptoms.

The rash on his bum sounds like an allergy to the nappy. Have you by any chance changed his nappies lately? But I still can't figure out what the rash on the hands is. Can you post a pic?

Or maybe it's just a good thing if you take him to the doc. Good luck!
Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus)
Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) YfYWHand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus)
Honeybunch
Honeybunch
Valued Member

Number of posts : 2561
Birthday : Somerset West

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 9:01

no I'm using the exact same nappies that I have always used HB - he did have terrible flu for about 10 days, he only got better the last few days - so maybe thats it? He was really snotty and coughing etc. and as I said he had a terrible night last night, he was strange, whimpering and moaning, so may have been a headache. sad My poor boy.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Fri 28 Nov - 9:14

My money would be on Chicken Pox.
Venus
Venus
Admin

Number of posts : 12405
Favourite Quote : Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming, "WOO HOOOO! What a ride!"
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://www.bridal-lane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 9:24

do you think venus? its no where else on his body except his hands and feet??
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Fri 28 Nov - 9:28

Reuben's CP started on his hands & face, but then quickly spread to the the rest of his body. He never had any on his legs though, which was strange.

But then again, they say that a rash on the extremities could be an allergy. Hm, dunno. I'd be suspect of that tuna actually, only because it's the first time he's had it.

Let us know what the doc says?
Venus
Venus
Admin

Favourite Quote : Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming, "WOO HOOOO! What a ride!"

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 9:31

yes I definately will. thanks guys.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 2TA Fri 28 Nov - 10:37

good luck for the doc at 2:30pm... hopefully it's nothing too serious!
let us know x
2TA
2TA
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 11:42

ok I'm leaving work now, then off to the doc. Will let you know what she says.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov - 13:26

My LG's Chicken Pox started exactly like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Essie Fri 28 Nov - 14:04

Ag shame, JM, I hope he's fine. Will watch out for your post on what the doc says!
Essie
Admin

Number of posts : 19009
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammy Fri 28 Nov - 14:44

anything yet?
Tammy
Tammy
Valued Member

Number of posts : 3098
Favourite Quote : 'Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and sa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov - 14:48

Well if CT's traffic is anything like JHB today, it could still be awhile!!

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 19:38

ok, so it is foot and mouth disease, commonly known as (and I'm not lying here) cocksuki virus!!! hahaha.. its basically chicken pox's little brother. but it has spread up his legs a bit. She basically prescribed an antihystamine (sp) and calamine. He's been fast asleep for 40 minutes now, so lets hope we have a better night. Atleast I know whats wrong now.. shoo.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brend Fri 28 Nov - 19:41

What a name!!!! Shame well at least you know what it is. Hope it clears up soon.
Brend
Brend
Addicted Member

Number of posts : 1590
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Alison_L Fri 28 Nov - 19:42

Shame man, think it sounds a lot worse than it actually is.
Hope you have a better night.
Alison_L
Alison_L
Devoted Member

Number of posts : 6191
Favourite Quote : Having children is like wearing your heart on the outside of your body.
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 19:43

Thanks Brend.. the little blisters look terrible. Does anyone know how long the blisters hang around for? Do they scar badly? I'm terrified of them gettgin onto his face.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Fri 28 Nov - 19:51

LOL I've heard of that name before! So I assume that that's almost the same as Shingles as well then. I wonder if he'll be able to get Chicken Pox then at some point, or if he's (supposed to be) immune to it now?

Anyway, I don't know much about this virus, but I can tell you that Reuben and I both had Chicken Pox when he was 5 months old. He had 2 very big blisters - one on his cheek & one on his back - and they've both left very small scars. The others all faded.
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 19:55

thanks Venus, lets hope it doesn't get to his face!! and lets really hope he's immune to chicken pox now!! Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) 296742
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Fri 28 Nov - 20:09

I found some pics for you, to show you which spots made the scars. It was the big one on his left cheeck & also the big one on his left side.

Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) Amended1
Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) SV206220
Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) Amended2
Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) Amended3
Hand, foot & mouth disease (Coxsackie virus) Amended
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 2TA Fri 28 Nov - 20:10

oh dear, sorry to hear Jaden is suffering! And come on, that name? Really? Who thinks of these names?
are they itchy? poor little monkey!
hopefully you guys have a better night and he is back on the mend chop chop!!!!!!
thinking of you guys x
2TA
2TA
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 2TA Fri 28 Nov - 20:11

Venus - poor Reuben - it looks so bad!!!! love your arm sticking into the one picture with all the bumps too... must've been a rough time for all of you!
2TA
2TA
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Fri 28 Nov - 20:33

Hahaha I didn't even notice my arm there. Trust me, my arms were the least affected on my body. I had a truly AWFUL rash all over - my face & chest was the worst. It really is true what they say: the older you get it, the worse it is. Although Reuben was covered in spots, he really did not seem all that ill at all. I, on the other hand, felt like I was just dying!

I contemplated putting a picture on here of myself all covered in spots but then thought no. You ladies will just never look at me in the same way again!!! It really was that bad.

Oh & JM, I didn't find calamine all that soothing at all. The best thing to take help with the itch momentarily on my face, was to put thick cooked oats porridge on my face & sit like that for a while. Of course it looked terrible, but I didn't even care. See how Jaden goes, but maybe you can try that if he's very uncomfortable?
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alison_L Fri 28 Nov - 20:38

Oh no that looks awful, poor thing. And look like you've got it too, what did the doc say about you being preg and all?
Alison_L
Alison_L
Devoted Member

Favourite Quote : Having children is like wearing your heart on the outside of your body.

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Fri 28 Nov - 20:40

No Alison, that's not Jaden's Mom, that's me. I just hijacked her post - sorry!!! embarrassed That was 6 months ago though.
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Fri 28 Nov - 20:45

how in the world did you come up /hear about that cure?? hahha..
shame reuben looks so chirpy despite the spots. JAden doesn't seem like he's itching from the spots really.. but we'll see how we go tonight. reuben has gorgeous blue eyes VEnus!!
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Alison_L Fri 28 Nov - 20:50

OOH, I was wondering why he looked so different from the avatar, sheesh how dof can you be and I am not even blond!

So was you just eating your jungle oats and decided to spread some on your spotty face? I am laughing so much at the thought of that I have tears rolling down my cheeks!
Alison_L
Alison_L
Devoted Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Fri 28 Nov - 20:58

LOL no Ladies!! I read up on some home remedies that you can use to relieve the itch of Chicken Pox. And the one thing they suggested was to take fine oats and put it in something like a stocking & put it in the bath with you, so that the bath gets all oaty - and then you dip in that. I didn't quite understand exactlyt what they meant, so I thought I'd just try to put it straight onto my face. And it seemed to do the trick. Actually nothing really took the awful itch away completely, except a bag of frozen peas for about 10 or 15 seconds at a time, on the places that were worst affected.
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov - 9:30

Shame JM... at least you know now and hopefully he will get better quickly.

Dont know which name is worse for this!!??

Back to top Go down

Post by Essie Sat 29 Nov - 9:51

I've had chickenpox when I was 10 and I still remember the itch!

A friend's daughter had chickenpox 2 years ago, and she scratch one blister on her cheeck and it left a horrible mark. Now, 2 years later, it's starting to fade!!! She's 4 now, and I'm sure it's going to dissapear completely.

JM, I'm glad you have a diagnoses now. Shame, hope he's better soon! How was his night?
Essie
Admin

Number of posts : 19009
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumé Sat 29 Nov - 13:41

rofl i think that you are talking about the coxsackie virus....must say that your version is, however, much funnier!!!
I hope Jaden is feeling ok!!
Sumé
Sumé
Devoted Member

Number of posts : 5589
Birthday : 28/12/1977
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Michele Sat 29 Nov - 18:06

Shame poor little man, hope he feels better soon. SEH that is a funnier version - Sorry JM i cant stop giggling rofl
Michele
Addicted Member

Number of posts : 1266
Birthday : 01/01/1900
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Sat 29 Nov - 19:50

hahah.. thanks SEH - that spelling is better than mine - still sounds terrible though. WHAT A NAME!!! he seems ok - had a terrible night last night, hoping and praying for a good one tonight though.. Rich and I are at eachothers throats we are so tired.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Nov - 19:58

Shame JM.... so hope you get a better night tonight -- in fact you should be in BED already :)

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Sat 29 Nov - 20:00

I know, I'm actually going to be bed now. night girls. chat in the morning.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 2TA Sun 30 Nov - 18:32

how's jaden's rash today?
2TA
2TA
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 1 Dec - 7:28

I suppose Zara has probably got the same because she's had these little bumps that look like smaller version sof mosquito bites.

So I have to get her to the dr then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Venus Mon 1 Dec - 7:47

Zara's Mom wrote:I suppose Zara has probably got the same because she's had these little bumps that look like smaller version sof mosquito bites.
They're usually like little blisters, ZM.
Venus
Venus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Mon 1 Dec - 8:00

he's ok - he's as chirpy as ever, just a bit itchy I think. But we had a full nights sleep last night - WOO HOO. The blisters apparently take 10 days to clear. Yes ZM, they are very much little blister looking things.. Zara might just have heat rash if its little pimples, but these buggers are really nasty looking blisters.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 1 Dec - 11:15

Her's is def not a heat rash. She got a nasty rash from the cuddlers that we used last week and this appeared at the same time as the rash. SO I thought it was part of the rash. But the minute I quit with the cuddlers the rash disappeared but these bumps remained. She's not fussy or feverish at all.

I'll get some Bepanthen and if the bumps don't clear then I'll take her to the dr.

Back to top Go down

Post by JEM Mon 1 Dec - 11:23

I must say, I also noticed them on Jadens bum first.. so maybe give it a day, then take her. He was also/ is still in very good spirits.
JEM
JEM
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 1 Dec - 11:29

Will do JM... Thanx.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum